How do I add custom voices to Narrator under OS X 10.7 or newer?
To use additional VoiceOver voices (such as foreign-language voices) available under OS X 10.7 ("Lion") with Narrator, you will need to add them to Mac OS.
Note: Custom voices in OS X Lion can only be used with Narrator version 2.2 and higher. To download the latest version of Narrator, please visit the Downloads page on our Website.
Steps to add VoiceOver Voices to Mac OS 10.7 or newer
- Launch System Preferences. Two ways to launch System Preferences are to select System Preferences from the Apple Menu and to search for System Preferences with Spotlight.
- In System Preferences, select Speech.
- Once the Speech Pane loads, select the Text to Speech tab.
- In the pulldown menu labelled System Voice, choose Customize… A sheet will appear, displaying a list with checkboxes.
- In the list with checkboxes, check the checkbox for any additional voice you would like to be able to use in Mac OS.
- Once you have selected all of the voices you would like to add to Mac OS, click OK. The sheet will disappear.
- A dialog will appear, notifying you that you will need to download voices, and providing the options Install or Not Now. To install the voices you selected from the list, choose Install.